Friday, September 11, 2009

There's a Fairy in my Labyrinth


Greetings...

Some of you may be wondering why I chose to call my blog Labyrinth. For me it was simple. We are all on a path...exactly where we need to be. I like to think this is true for me too. The Labyrinth is a model of that path.

A Labyrinth is an ancient symbol that relates to wholeness. It combines the imagery of a circle and the spiral into a meandering but purposeful path. The Labyrinth (and especially for me) represents a journey to our own center and back again out into the world...this world. Labyrinths have been used for more years than I can count, as meditation and prayer tools. At its most basic level the Labyrinth is a metaphor for this journey to the center of your deepest self and back out into the world with a heightened and broadened understanding of who you are. I say a metaphor.... because; can we really learn all of this by taking one pass through the Labyrinth? Maybe not.

My experience with walking the Labyrinth here at the Fur Peace Ranch has been a work in progress.... like me and like the ranch itself. In the twelve years we have been hosting workshops and special retreats, it always starts out looking very different. We prepare for each camp or retreat with cleaning out of the old, celebrating the event prior to the new one, refreshing the grounds and walking an unknown path to meet new guests that will become part of our lives. Then you come and you offer a new path for us that present another way to define the way we live and work and how we will treat the guests that come after you have left. Each master instructor and student presents a new twist, turn and perhaps a blind alley. It becomes a left- brain task that requires logical, sequential, rational activity to find the correct path into the Labyrinth and out. Sound a bit heavy? Well, for me it has been and in only the best way. You see, many years ago I wasn't living my life very well. I wasn't honoring my body and wasn't honoring the gift of my life. The ranch became a place to live again, to experience that great universal love.... I choose to call it G-ds love. It is so simple...I just became willing. Willing to listen, to work hard and to appreciate your gift of you. The Labyrinth is very much me...because of you.

I said in my earlier and very brief blog posting that I was not sure how long I would blog. But I thought I might have something to share. Today I am simply saying "thank you." Thank you to our instructors, our students, our guests that drive miles into the hills to take in a rare concert performance and to my incredible staff who are fearless. They have walked this wild dream with us and they all work harder than anyone I have every worked with. My gratitude cannot be described in words. How about this.....You all rock!


May you all be blessed with a safe journey,


Vanessa Lillian

2 comments:

  1. Vanessa, what a coincidence! My wife and I just drove yesterday to St. Thomas Church in Mamaroneck, NY to go see the Labyrinth they've had there for years. Not sure yet how it affected me, but it did get me thinking about the twists and turns of life. We will be doing it again, and if I make to the Ranch, I'll be sure to do it there, too.

    Take care

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanessa: I had NO idea when you handed me a Fur Peace brochure at Merlefest a few years ago what a great treasure map I had been given. Sure glad I chose to follow it. It's taken me to places I never dreamed I would find....

    ReplyDelete

Followers